Monday, June 16, 2008

to just relax and talk


Hey guys... I left my nannying job.

Basically there were some major behavioural issues with one of the kids and he was getting so violent that it was become dangerous for me to be there. So the family that is acting as my guardians here (not the one I was working for) along with my parents decided that I needed to leave the situation. It was a decision I agreed with, although it was hard to make. So I left yesterday.

Honestly, because of that situation my first two and a half weeks in Egypt have been really hard. Now I am in a really strange place in terms of feelings (yuck, I hate talking about feelings)-- I am sad to leave the kids without much closure, I am sad that it didn't work out. I am relieved, in some ways, though, to be living in a place where I am completely safe (I am still in Alexandria, with the family who is acting as my guardians). I am relieved to be out of that stress.

Right now I'm not certain where I'll stay for the whole six weeks, but we decided that I would rest and recover for a few days and then start to look into different options. I am really glad to rest and excited and a bit relieved to just start enjoying Egypt.

Today was really quiet, a resting and processing day. I am a bit homesick. When I get homesick, I'm never not quite sure what to be sick for. Mostly I am just very affectionate towards my family, and I have had an unusual craving for mince pies and country music. Yeah, I'm a little home-confused.

Tonight I took a taxi to church and then afterwards went out to eat with a bunch of people... it was about 11.30 pm before the food arrived. It was really fun to just relax and talk with people... I love meals, I am so glad that humans often make it a habit to eat together.

Speaking of taxis, they are really cheap here. I usually pay less than a dollar and I pay more than most people would. Lately my taxi drivers have been quite chatty, and most can only speak Arabic so it is good practice. Most are very nice, I have only had one that tried to get more money out of me just because I am foreign and I gave out to that one (and then gave him another LE).

Tomorrow I am going with Nana to "the naadi" (which translates to "the club." But I'm still not quite sure what that actually means).

Oh, and the picture at the beginning- it is the view from the balcony at the house where I am currently staying. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh! I'm so sorry things haven't worked out with the job, but I'm glad that you are DONE and SAFE. Please have a fun and relaxing next few days! Will keep you in my prayers. :o)

amanda said...

I'm proud of you for making this tough decision. I know it was difficult, but everyone here and in Ireland cares so much about you that it is incredibly important to keep your safety number one priority.

Amr Diab and I were singing in the car this morning on the way to work. We were thinking of you :) But then again, we always think of you!

Nabil and I are playing tennis tonight, I'll give him your updates and hellos.

Okay I promise as soon as I become unbusy (hah does that happen?) I will send you a detailed humongo email about my life.

I love you more than all the vermonsters in the world!
Amanda

Abby said...

Hey love,

Glad that you got out of the situation. (I just sent you an email inquiring about it, and then I thought to check your blog... so sorry about that!) Hope that you are given some peace about whether or not to stay. The view from the balcony is amazing!

It's funny: so many things you say about Egypt are just the opposite of things in Japan. Par ex., the taxis here are uber-expensive and everyone here is always on time, always (the trains too; you can set your watch by them).

And as far as the homesickness, definitely with you there, too. But it's good. God is faithful! I love you tremendously. Stay safe, enjoy every moment!